Aug 22, 2010

It's Been One Week

One week, 1400 miles, 22+ hours of driving and 6 states since I arrived in Maryland. The majority of which was spent getting to know the area and searching like a maniac for a place to live. My hopes for snagging a cute “downtown” loft were shattered early on, but I ended up finding a nice place within biking distance to work and walking distance to the market (score!).  This week wasn’t all serious stuff though; in fact it ended up being more fun than anything! To break up the trip, my Dad (who so wonderfully helped me move) and I stayed the night in Nashville and met up with my brother for some fun, live music and beer on Broadway. After making it into Maryland (almost winning the license plate game: 45 states and 3 international!), meeting the great people at my new office and beginning the great apartment hunt we headed out to Leitersburg for the Annual Peach Festival. Later in the week we went to Gettysburg for some good ol’ Civil War fun. The history buff side of me is LOVING being in such close proximity to so much amazing American History. (Side note: I’m also not used to this whole: I can drive less than an hour and be in a different state thing. Exciting!). We ended the week going to the National Aquarium in Baltimore, where I learned: 1. There are over 400 different species of sharks and 94% of them are considered harmless 2. Jellyfish are seriously interesting to watch 3. I don’t like sharing viewing space with small children (I WANT TO SEE TOO!) and the best part 4. The aquarium has a volunteer diver program where you can help out IN THE TANKS! After viewing some crabs at the aquarium we decided it was time to eat some delicious crab at Obrycki’s before I dropped Dad off at the airport. 


Now I’m currently sitting in the middle of my living room floor staring at towers of boxes, mostly labeled ‘BOOKS’. I have a strong dislike for the unpacking part of the moving process. While it’s exciting to set up a new place and decide where everything can go and make it all cute and homey- you have to decide where to put things! OVERWHELMING. It has also become abundantly clear that, while I have too many things, I have no useful things. For example: my kitchen is practically empty. There are the couple Belikin Beer glasses I picked up in Belize, some divided plates (an issue for a different post) and far too many Nalgenes. Dad to the rescue again and voila! I am now the owner of a toaster oven. Now if I could only make myself walk to the market and buy groceries…


Tomorrow starts my first official first day at the new job! (Does anyone know where all my grown-up clothes are?)


Nashville
Antique Tractors in Leitersburg
Gettysburg
Sea Horse


No comments:

Post a Comment